The winning project
Three local mums worked with Great Places Housing Group to transform an area of disused land into an activity-filled garden for the whole community to enjoy in just seven weeks.
The garden is divided into three areas:
- a sensory garden to aid learning and development, particularly for children with special educational needs
- a food production area so local families can grow their own vegetables, and
- a relax and play area complete with picnic benches.
As a result of their work, the local community now has a family friendly, educational and attractive free resource on their doorstep. More than 100 people attended the garden’s ribbon-cutting, a reflection of its popularity within the community.
The group raised over £13,000 in funding and donations from:
- Big Lottery Fund
- Manchester Airport
- Knutsford Lions
- Great Places Residents’ Fund
- Knutsford Town Council, and
Where possible, the group used local companies to carry out work on-site as they wanted to ensure, wherever possible, money spent on the garden was reinvested back into the community.
What the judges said
The Secret Garden of Springfield shows the huge difference a few ambitious individuals can make. It was a very well thought through project, with community at the heart of it.